Let us help you unveil the secrets of olive oil. Secrets that were well known to our ancestors and yet brought to our attention only recently through dozens of medical reports and research papers that highlight the health benefits of olives and olive oil in particular. What you should keep in mind though, is that these are related only to top quality extra virgin olive oils, so you have to pick the right one, and that you need to introduce the consumption of olive oil to your daily routine substituting other fats, such as butter, ideally integrating it into a Mediterranean diet.
Olive oil helps protect against diseases and pathological situations such as cancer, oxidation stress, diabetes and, at the same time, it is a regulator of good function for the brain, the cardiovascular system, and the digestive tract:
- Enhances the visual memory and verbal fluency, prevents depressions, protects against retardation in babyhood
- Reduces the chances for heart attacks and strokes, reduces blood pressure and the level of bad cholesterol
- Keeps the digestive tract healthy and protects from stomach ulcer
- Prevents rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis which typically shows in women entering the post menopause phase
- Helps prevent cancer formation especially in the stomach, the small intestine, the breast, the respiratory tract, and the skin
- Reduces the risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome by regulating the levels of glucose in the blood
- It is very beneficial for the development of newborn babies or younger children as it contributes to brain development, bone formation, and helps prevent skin disorders
Olive oil owes its beneficial attributes to its high content of oleic acid and, most of all, the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant function of polyphenols. But not all olive oils are made equal! Our team at Helea evaluates several critical parameters before making the final selection of our producers to ensure that we source only top quality polyphenol-rich olive oils.
Groves with south orientation, humid local micro climate insulated from high temperatures in the summer and frosts in the winter, high quality of soil, limited use of irrigation systems, healthy regularly pruned trees ideally of Koroneiki variety, typically yield higher quality olive oils. To safeguard the quality of the end product, Helea olive oil is extracted by collecting the olives early on, relatively unripe, taking them to the olive press within hours of their collection, and cold pressing them solely with mechanical means.
Recent studies have shown that olive oils from Messinia (south-west of Peloponnese) show much higher content in polyphenols than the global average, and this is where we have chosen to start sourcing olive oil from. Read more on this on our product section.
It is very important for you to get two things right if you want to get the most out of your olive oil from a health perspective. First, you need to select a product that meets the highest quality standards. Second, you should introduce it to your daily routine ideally by integrating it into a Mediterranean diet.
At Helea we are committed in helping you do both. Through our business model, and especially our meticulous sourcing process, we make sure we develop products of the highest quality standards only. In this respect we partner with olive oil experts and run several checks and controls before placing our products on the shelf.
Additionally, we provide you with lots of guidance on how to integrate olive products and especially olive oil in your daily diet. We go beyond offering you yet another recipe with olive oil, we essentially provide ideas to help you put olive oil in your life in ways that make your daily routine more enjoyable. Follow us on facebook and twitter to learn more.